On the 24th of February and for the four days that follow, Cuban cigar lovers from around the world have gathered together in one place to celebrate Cuban cigars. Last year’s Habanos Festival drew crowds from eight different countries. Seventy-two exhibitors showed off their products to 2,000 visitors. This year, more than three times as many countries will be represented, and 273 journalists will be covering the event. If you are not lucky enough to be present at the event, keep your eyes peeled for blog posts and video journals online, as many visitors are bound to share their experiences.
What are some of the event highlights this year?
- At the opening dinner, two new cigars were celebrated, the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de San Juan, and the Partagas Serie D No. 6. The Le Hoyo cigar measures 5 7/8 inches with a 54-ring gauge, making it one of the thickest produced in the Hoyo de Monterrey line. The Serie D measures 3.5 inches long with a 50-ring gauge.
- Guests had a chance to pay a visit to the famous tobacco plantations in Vuelta Abajo and Pinar del Rio. Tours were also conducted through famous cigar factories for premium hand-rolled stogies.
- Seminars, tastings, classes, and contests will be held throughout the week, including the world’s first offline official contest to achieve the longest ash. Conference topics will include “Habanos in the Cinema” as well as “The Germans in the Habano. Origin of the H. Upmann Brand.”
- Wednesday featured a special tribute dinner to the Trinidad brand. World-renowned chef Ron Blaauw from the Netherlands served up delicious gourmet cuisine, and famous wine and food writer Cuno Van’t Hoff took care of the wine.
- The Habanos Alliance features some of the most celebrated beers on the planet, including Belgian brands like Duvel and Leffe. The Cuban brand Bucanero is also present.
- The event will conclude on Friday, February 28th with a final Gala Dinner as a tribute to H. Upmann. There will be an auction that night to benefit the Cuban Public Health System.
The Habanos Festival is one of the most prominent events in the cigar world, and continues to grow in popularity every year. With so many promising activities planned for Cuban cigar lovers, this year is sure to be the most incredible yet.